Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bock, Bock... (Warning, Slightly Graphic)

As promised, here is the pictorial description of our outing this past Sunday. Some friends of ours are trying their hands at raising meat chickens (among other things). As I'm sure some, actually most, of you will recognize, the activity for the day was none other than...butchering chickens.


This was an interesting and educational day on so many levels. I got to relive my childhood memories of spending hot summer days doing this very same thing. Jon got to cut off a chicken's head for the first time...and enjoyed it! We were able to watch the homemade chicken plucker in action. (On a side note...it was a good thing that there were 3, no 4 engineers and lots of beer around to make some on-the-fly modifications. There was even an electrical design change despite not having a EE around. Farm-ineering at it's best!)


Perhaps I don't want to know what it says about someone who chooses to spend their Sunday afternoon butchering someone else's chickens. We can't be in too bad of company because there were three others that also showed up for the event. Perhaps, the level of participation is really what says the most...I'll leave it at that.




No surprisingly, Marie was really not interested in helping with the butchering. She did hang out for a little while and actually did pet a chicken, though not one whose minutes were numbered. Joey liked watching the pigs more than the chickens, but they both ended up playing inside with other kids most of the time.

When it was all said and done, there were ~20 chickens that met their maker on Sunday. After packing the freezer full and cleaning up, we all enjoyed some well-grilled meat for supper. No, not chicken...hamburgers and brats of course! Plus we got to come home with a bird! I can't say that we're going to jump right in to raising our own chickens next year. But, I also can't say that the next time our friends are butchering we won't be on their doorstep again!






1 comment:

the observer said...

Great post! I know Tim had a great time hanging out with everyone that day :) And I knew you had crazy skills of all kinds, Peggy, but if I ever get stranded on a deserted island, I want you with me :)